Florida International University, Miami Beach
The Wolfsonian, Miami Beach (US) , was founded in 1995 and became part of Florida International University in 1997. Its outstanding arts and design collection — based on a donation from Mitchell Wolfson Jr. (b. 1939, Miami Beach) — has 180,000 objects covering the 1850s to the 1950s: paintings, sculptures, drawings, affiches and everyday objects from Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East.
The Wolfsonian building (1927 by Robertson & Patterson, renovated 1992 by Mark Hampton), originally home to the Washington Storage Company, has been “a beacon of culture in Miami Beach for generations”.
This article is part of the series ‘UMAC Collection of the Month’.